Sunday 8 March 2020

A Hint of Spring

Yesterday ( the 7th) I saw my first UK butterfly of the year when I noted a Peacock in the alley outside my home. As it seemed to be a little dozy I moved it from the path to a more sheltered and hopefully safer spot in my garden.

Peacock and bus tick Peregrine.

Today I journeyed over to Wellingborough for a walk along the river towards Ditchford. On the way I managed to spot one of the Peregrines on the spire of Kettering church as the bus stopped to pick up more victims, a rubbish record shot is included.

Stonechat.

The first interesting bird at Wellingborough was a Stonechat that showed well near the embankment, another was seen later at Ditchford. A singing Cetti's Warbler was heard near the weir and I also heard a singing Chiffchaff which is as likely to have been a wintering bird as a migrant. Most of the gypsy ponies that used to frequent this area have now been rounded up and this may explain why the Cattle Egrets present on my previous visits this year seem to have moved on. Also absent were any Great White Egrets though these may be heading back to their breeding grounds now. Making up somewhat for their missing cousins were Little Egrets with at least four present.

Oystercatchers.

Noisiest birds on site were probably Oystercatchers, at least three pairs were present between Wellingborough and Ditchford. Other birds seen around Chester House Lake included a pair of Egyptian Geese and a Shelduck. Nearby Ditchford had much the same selection of species including another Stonechat but little else of interest was noted. The arrival of a heavy rain shower was enough to have me heading back towards town.

Egyptian Goose.

No comments:

Post a Comment