Sunday 4 August 2019

Walking and More Walking

Quite a gruelling hike today as I visited a few sites for the first time in ages taking in Brookfield, Gretton Pocket Park, Harringworth Lodge Lake and Spanhoe Quarry. While I didn't see anything spectacular it was an enjoyable stroll through some nice countryside.

Common Blue and Fallow Deer

Beginning at Willowbrook Industrial Estate I noted the first Common Blue butterflies of the day, it looks as if the new generation are just beginning to emerge. Plenty of other butterflies were seen with Gatekeepers being the commonest though Painted Lady numbers are building, I've even had a couple in the garden over the last couple of days.

Ringlet and Silver-washed Fritillary.

Brookfield added Ringlets and Speckled Woods to the list, the first dragons in the shape of several Common Darters were seen too. Lots of small bird activity here with Marsh Tits and Nuthatches amongst the many commoner species. Leaving the wood I saw a young Fallow Deer running across the large field before it came to a stop. Rather surprisingly it then chose to run in my direction and got pretty close before it realised that I was there. Nearby a female Silver-washed Fritillary was the only one of the day.

Common Darter and Emperor.

I added both Peacock and Comma to the list before reaching Gretton where I had a look at the pond in the pocket park. Highlight here were my first confirmed Migrant Hawkers of the year, two newly emerged ones were hiding in the reeds, that's my excuse for the rubbishy record shot! Brown and Southern Hawker were also seen while damsels were represented by Common Blue and Blue-tailed. Not a huge amount between the village and Harringworth Lodge Lake though several Small Heaths were seen along the Jurassic Way.

Peacocks and Emerald Damsel.

At the lake both Red and Small Red eyed were found while a Banded Demoiselle had perhaps wandered over from the Welland. Dragons noted were Emperor, Black-tailed Skimmer and both species of the commoner darters. Not many birds here today but Summer is often a little on the dull side. Spanhoe Airfield was rather busy today and I enjoyed watching the aeroplanes, an old Boeing biplane and a Morane Saulnier Ms 733 were my favourites.

Chocks Away!

The quarry held more dragons with Four-spotted Chaser being added to the others making it an eight dragon day. This is becoming a decent spot to visit for Emerald Damselflies and I saw a double figure count today. A buddleia bush was a magnet for butterflies with a huge number of Peacocks being drawn in for a sip or two, I think this may well be the most that I've seen in one spot before. Having had a good walk around the site I had to face the prospect of the hike home which at least was brightened somewhat by a late Marbled White.

Marbled White.

No comments:

Post a Comment