Monday 12 August 2019

Walk on the Dull Side

They say that a change is as good as a rest and so instead of my usual trip to Barnwell I opted to go to Wicksteed Park instead. What didn't change was my inability to find Willow Emeralds and with each passing dip that July individual at Deene seems all the more remarkable. It seems as if their colonisation of Northants is taking its time which is a shame as they're one of my favourite species.

Common Darter and Banded Demoiselle.

While the sun did put in an occasional appearance it was overcast for most of my visit and as a result there were very few insects on the wing. Common Blue Damselflies just about got into double figures making them the most numerous species, a few Blue-tailed and Small Red-eyed Damselflies were also seen as well as a quartet of Banded Demoiselles. Only one dragonfly put in an appearance and that was a male Common Darter.

Blue-tailed and Common Blue Damselflies.

There were only penny numbers of butterflies noted too and these amounted to a Speckled Wood and several Green-veined Whites and Gatekeepers. A little later on once I'd returned home a Painted Lady added some welcome colour to the day. Very few birds were seen though I at least heard a Kingfisher and also enjoyed looking at the broods of Coots and Great Crested Grebes.

Gatekeeper, Green-veined White and Painted Lady.

It would be nice if my next excursion has a little more sunshine!

Coots and Great Crested Grebes.

No comments:

Post a Comment