Sunday 7 April 2019

Worth the Effort

A long old walk today starting here in the village and heading out through Brookfield Plantation and on through Gretton, from there it was a matter of taking the Jurassic Way along to Harringworth Lodge Lake. Afterwards I wandered along to the old quarry near Spanhoe Airfield before returning home via Priors Hall and Weldon. While my feet were a tad sore I can say it was worth it with plenty to interest me along the way.

Peregrine and Fallow Deer.

Starting just after dawn I found two Willow Warblers singing along the edge of the waste ground at Cockerell Road, another was nearby at the Willowbrook Industrial Estate. These were my first confirmed ones of the year as I thought that I'd heard a brief snatch of song yesterday at Rutland Water. A Peregrine was seen at its usual spot before it flew off to presumably ruin a pigeon's day. Brookfield had a small flock of Redpolls and a few Fallow Deer but little else.

Goldfinch and Yellowhammer.

While the walk to Gretton was a little uneventful it was nice to see and hear several Yellowhammers as well as Skylarks. Leaving Gretton on the Jurassic Way provided the day's highlight when I found a male Ring Ouzel feeding in the large sheep field about half way to Harringworth Lodge. I'd heard the Fieldfare like call, always promising when it's coming from a Blackbird, and was delighted when it landed to reveal its identity. Happily I was able to watch it for about ten minutes on and off and even managed a few shots. Ring Ouzels are rare but regular passage migrants and used to be annual through Priors Hall before development put paid to that. As if that were not enough while phoning the news out an Osprey passed overhead and was my first Northants one this year.

Two views of the Ring Ouzel.

Not much of note at the lake with just the usual selection of common waterfowl on view though the walk up towards Spanhoe Airfield did provide views of a song flighting Meadow Pipit. There was a large herd of formidable looking cows near the airfield which had attracted several wagtails including my first Yellow of the year. The old quarry did not have much to look at but seems as if it may be suitable habitat for Dark Green Fritillary, I'll be back in the Summer! A large field across from the airfield had a flock of about two hundred and fifty Fieldfares while a Raven was noted passing overhead.

Spiky looking cows and Yellow Wagtail.

There was a bit of a lull as I walked towards Priors Hall with only another Raven to liven things up. Priors had a decent selection of birds with four species of duck on the ponds and these included a pair of Mandarins. Other highlights were several Siskins, another Willow Warbler and there was a pair of Little Ringed Plovers in the quarry while also of interest were my first county Sand Martins. By now it had begun to rain and I made my way to Weldon where I caught the X4 home.

Spanhoe Airfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment