Monday 22 April 2019

Thrapston Swansong

Today was the last day of my Easter break (boo!) and I spent much of the day with Alan Shorrock taking a walk around the Titchmarsh reserve near Thrapston. We enjoyed a cracking walk in good conditions and managed to find some interesting birds.

Titchmarsh NR

My second Great White Egret in as many days was seen on Aldwincle lake soon after our arrival though this one's beak was still yellow unlike yesterday's. There were plenty of warblers in song on the reserve and these included Cetti's as well as my first Garden Warblers of the Spring. I also saw my first Cuckoos of the year with two males having something of a territorial tiff. For the second day running I failed to catch up with any hirundines, I wonder where they are?

Great White Egret and Song Thrush.

Another migrant that did perform was Nightingale, we saw one and heard another close to the iron bridge between Town Lake and Elinor. I did manage a record shot of sorts but it's a bit of a duffer truth be told. We listened to this declining visitor's marvellous song for quite a while, with the seeming loss of the Glapthorn birds this could become a hard species to see in the county.

Nightingale and Whooper Swan

Elinor trout lake paid host to the long staying Whooper Swan which I'd managed to miss so far but which was far more obliging today. Its bill has now coloured up nicely and the bird looks almost adult. You don't often get to enjoy Whooper Swans whilst wearing a T-shirt so it was a pleasant change. There were not too many other interesting birds about though a few butterflies were seen and these were Speckled Wood (4), Peacock (3), Comma (1), Small Tortoiseshell (2), Brimstone (8/9) and rather a lot of Orange-tips. In addition to these a Holly Blue was noted when we stopped for a pint in Brigstock.

Speckled Wood and Comma.

No comments:

Post a Comment