Friday 12 April 2019

There Goes The Sun

Yet another day off work and the morning was beautiful but a little on the cold side. Once the chill had gone off (a bit anyway!) I took a walk down to Weldon. Early damsels were again my target though not for the first time I was unable to find any, next week's looking quite a bit warmer so fingers crossed it won't be too much longer.

Small Tortoiseshell

Not too many insects about particularly as the sun soon disappeared behind some pretty thick cloud cover. A Small Tortoiseshell was the only butterfly that I could find and even that spent most of the time with its wings held firmly shut. Over the last few days I've seen a few of the smaller solitary bees but have only just realised that two different looking ones were male and female of the same species - Tawny Mining Bee. One day I may eventually learn a few of the commoner bee species but I wouldn't put money on it!

Tawny Mining Bees male and female.

Not a great many birds around, the A43 had both of the commoner goose species as well as a trio of Tufted Ducks and Dabchick while the other pond had a couple of Greylags. No signs of any new migrants having arrived with just Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps being seen.

Goldfinch and my first Hawthorn blossom of the Spring.

On a different note it looks as if I'm going to have some trouble with the new neighbours. A pair of Magpies have set up home in a nearby hawthorn bush and seem to want to tell everyone about it, as loudly and as often as possible it would appear. When not squawking or chacking or fighting with a neighbouring pair they seem to be squawking or chacking just for the pleasure of it, theirs not mine! Now I'm very much a live and let live sort of fellow but if I could persuade one of the many local cats to accept a contract on them....

Noisy neighbour

No comments:

Post a Comment