Thursday 11 April 2019

Back to Oundle

My work were gracious enough to let me take the day off and so with some welcome but unexpected time on my hands I returned to Oundle. As it seemed as if it was going to be fairly sunny, albeit cool in the wind, I decided to try and find some early damselflies. Despite much checking I couldn't find any but it is still over a week earlier than I've seen them in the past.

Oundle.

A pair of Mandarins were seen near the north bridge, it seems as if the Oundle area is becoming one of the best spots in the county to see these birds. a passing Swallow was my first in the county this year though migrants in general were scarce today. In fact very little of note was seen between the town and the A605 but happily things did perk up a little once I'd passed under the road bridge.

Dunnock and Song Thrush.

Perhaps not surprisingly things were almost the same on the floods as they had been on Monday though Redshanks had increased to four and they and the Lapwings had been joined by a Little Ringed Plover. A Green-veined White seen nearby was a first for the year and one of four seen today. Another species, Small Tortoiseshell, was also seen along the river as well as many different bees and hoverflies.

Hover fly and solitary bee.

Although I knew that Barnwell CP was going to be packed with brats I popped in to continue my fruitless search for damsels. The Cetti's Warbler could just be made out above the screeches and screams but was the only bird interest. It looked as if it might be the only thing of any interest at all until a little burst of butterfly activity livened things up. A first for the year male Orange-tip was a very welcome sighting, Spring has officially sprung when these little beauties appear! Nearby a Speckled Wood and a Peacock took today's species count up to five while my county year list has risen to eight.

Butterfly assortment.

I stayed long enough to grab a cold drink from the café (no ice creams!) but then popped back into town to grab the return bus home.

Kite nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment