Thursday 28 March 2019

Just Checking

News on several FB pages about the emergence of some early damselflies was the cue for me to take a stroll down to Weldon to see if any were out around here. I couldn't find any but it is about three weeks before I would normally see my first so I wasn't too surprised.

Weldon.

Butterflies were showing in small numbers with the first being a male Brimstone near the steelworks. Close to the A43 pond I found two Small Tortoiseshells which looked as if they were about to pair up and there were also at least three Peacocks in the same area. Plenty of Seven-spotted Ladybirds were active while good numbers of bees, hoverflies and also bee-flies were noted.

Small Tortoiseshells and a Peacock.

Four pairs of Tufted Ducks were still on the A43 pond and there are quite a few Chiffchaffs singing around the village. The only other thing of note were three rabbits feeding in the Woodland Park, they seem to be quite scarce at the moment so I'm always glad to see them.

Seven-spotted Ladybird and Goldfinch.

A brief look at the old patch on the way home produced a sighting of a fox. At first I thought it was someone's mutt but I quickly realised my mistake though sadly as I was bringing my camera up to take a shot the fox caught wind of me and legged it, a rubbish record shot is all I managed. Ah well you can't always rely on nature to hang around for a piccy but just seeing it is often good enough for me.

Rabbit and disappearing Fox.

No comments:

Post a Comment