Sunday 28 January 2024

Waxwings Are Still Hanging On

 I don't mind chasing other people's birds but it's nice to take a break from the more parasitical form of birding and look for your own stuff. It was with this aim in mind that I set out this morning to try and find some good birds of my own. Another relatively mild and sunny morning greeted me as I waited for my bus in Corby village, a Grey Wagtail passing overhead kept me entertained.

Red Kite and Stonechat



My journey was not a long one as I got off at the last stop in Weldon from where I walked towards Deenethorpe Airfield. A selection of farmland birds were on view and these included Reed Buntings while Skylarks filled the air with their songs. At the airfield a Barn Owl emerged from one of the nest boxes that dot the site, its flight into a nearby hedge dislodging a disgruntled sounding Jay which flew into nearby Weldon Park Wood. Another highlight here was a female Stonechat, this is a fairly reliable site for them in winter. Deene Lake inflow hosted a Snipe and a Green Sandpiper though my efforts to find a Green-winged Teal here came to naught as usual. Not much on the main lake though there was a minimum of thirteen Shelducks present.

Green Sandpiper, Snipe and Brown Hares




The walk from the farm ponds at Deene along Kirby Lane was uneventful with just a single Brown Hare of note. More hares were seen at Willowbrook Industrial Estate and at neighbouring Priors Hall. Birds at Willowbrook included a small flock of Yellowhammers and a Snipe and I also saw what I believe was an immature Caspian Gull.  After Willowbrook I went in search of someone else's birds again, I couldn't not pop in to see Alan's Waxwings given that I was so close!

Caspian Gull? - err no! and Waxwings





Not only are the Waxwings setting records for their length of stay but they're also gaining new recruits as the original four have been joined by two more birds. None were on view when I first arrived but after a short wait my patience was rewarded when the super six returned to the delight of myself and some other watchers. They stayed for about quarter of an hour before moving on yet again but not before I got some good views of them. It's looking as if the berry stocks are much depleted and I don't know how much longer the birds will remain but there's no doubt that they've entertained many people during their lengthy stay. Before heading back into Weldon I checked the quarry lake where a drake Wigeon and drake Pochard were welcome additions to the more regular species.


CORRECTION

Phew, it's a good job that nobody reads this guff as otherwise I'd look like a bit of an idiot. The "Caspian" Gull is a Herring Gull according to someone that knows about these things, I really should give up on trying to identify immature gulls.

Pochard, Wigeon and Little Egret







No comments:

Post a Comment