Sunday 21 January 2024

Barnwell

 A better day than the forecast suggested it would be as the county braced itself for the arrival of yet another winter storm. There was quite a lot of sunshine on offer as I took a stroll around an icy Barnwell where the wind made its presence felt though it wasn't as cold as yesterday. Nothing too exciting to report though I enjoyed my stroll even if it didn't produce any goodies.

Plenty of ice at Barnwell




With most of the water frozen I had to accept that I wouldn't see any Kingfishers and instead settled for looking at passerines. Small numbers of Siskins were moving around the park and both winter thrushes were seen too. From the Lowlands Hide I heard a Water Rail calling and saw Marsh Tit and Nuthatch but that was it as far as interesting sightings went. With numbers of people and dogs on the rise I decided to leave the park and head along the river.

Barnwell selection




It was quiet along the river, a couple of herons were on view and a small group of Cormorants too. The flooded area was for the most part frozen with just a small patch of open water. This was enough to attract a small number of ducks that included Teal and Shoveller in their number. Best bird here was a Great White Egret, I don't see that many in this area, but that was as good as it got and I headed back into town soon after.

Great White Egret


No comments:

Post a Comment