Sunday 26 November 2023

Probably Should Have Gone To The Pub Instead!

 Another cold day which for the most part was rather grey once an early spell of sunshine had disappeared. My walk today started with a bus trip to Upper Benefield from where I walked back to Weldon via Deene and Deenethorpe. It would be nice to report that my exertions went rewarded but I'm afraid to say that they were not!

Yellowhammer and Fieldfare



The minor road between Benefield and Deenethorpe was fairly lively with Yellowhammers in particular being common. A single Golden Plover called as it passed overhead and was my best bird of the day. Flocks of Starlings were moving through and were perhaps on the lookout for frost free ground. Nearby at Deene Lake some repair work on the dam is taking place which has meant that the footpath has been closed. A look from the A43 gave me the chance to note four Shelducks and three Black Swans but little else other than a large flock of Lapwings. At the inflow there was plenty of mud due to the low water level but no birds to report. Walking on to Deenethorpe and then the airfield did not add to my list much and I kept myself entertained by looking at the aeroplanes coming and going. It was with some relief that I boarded my return bus in Weldon, all in all one of those duff days that we all have to endure once in a while.

Red Kite and Deenethorpe visitor.



No comments:

Post a Comment