Saturday 19 August 2023

Saturday Stroll

 I undertook a bit of a trek today as I walked to Deene Lake and back taking in Willowbrook Industrial Estate, Deenethorpe and Weldon on my travels. The weather was a mix of sunny spells and clouds with a stiff westerly breeze blowing. I'd hoped to catch up with some passerine migrants but struggled to find any birds of interest and so was grateful that there were a few insects to enjoy.

Painted Lady and Small Heath



There was nothing of interest to slow me down during the early part of walk as I passed through Willowbrook. Things began to pick up as I strolled along the footpath that runs parallel to Kirby Lane. Good numbers of Common Darters were present in the more sheltered spots and there was also a selection of butterflies. Of most interest was a Painted Lady as it's not been one of the better years for this migrant species. Small Heaths are beginning to appear in numbers now and I saw them both here and at Deenethorpe Airfield. Other species in the area included Common Blue, Meadow Brown and Gatekeeper.

Willow Emerald and Small Red-eyed Damselfly



Deene churchyard had both Red Admirals and a Comma on show nectaring on the flowers of white Buddleia. Nearby at the lake ten plus Willow Emeralds were the pick of the odes, other damsels seen were Small Red-eyed, Blue-tailed, Common Blue and Banded Demoiselle. Very few dragons seemed inclined to brave the wind, I only saw an Emperor and a few Common Darters. A short distance away at Deenethorpe a male White-legged Damselfly was a good find, their season is coming to an end. At the airfield there was a similar selection of butterflies as there was at Kirby Lane though ten plus Brown Argus were also seen. As I returned along the A427 it didn't take long to realise that the road was open to traffic once again. Good news for my feet as it turned out because I treated them to a trip on the X4 once I'd had a couple of pints at the George.

White-legged Damselfly and Brown Argus



No comments:

Post a Comment