Sunday 25 June 2023

Harry's Worth A Visit

 I took a walk along to Harry's Park Wood this morning where some warm and sunny weather promised to deliver some nice butterflies. My walk took me up Geddington Road before I turned down Kettering Road where a Lesser Whitethroat was rattling away from the depths of a Blackthorn bush. A few Meadow Browns and Small Whites began to appear as well as a Red Admiral near the Woodland Park. Bears Lane had a bit of a surprise in store as a Reed Warbler was singing in the hedgerow half way along the road, I've not recorded one here before.

Whitethroat, Large Skipper and Small White




In the wood itself Ringlets matched Meadow Browns in number and there were a few Speckled Woods about as well. Alan had seen Black Hairstreaks along one of the rides recently so I headed in that direction. My first sighting here was not a hairstreak but my first White Admiral of the year, I saw it several times but it didn't settle. A similar situation prevailed a little later on when a Silver-washed Fritillary passed by. I did manage to catch up with a Black Hairstreak though this one was acting a little strangely as it was wandering along the ground rather than flitting around Blackthorns! Moving on I was treated to lots of views of Large Skippers and a few Large Whites. Both Comma and Red Admiral were noted on the paths, I was rather hoping for a Purple Emperor but their poop licking majesties are yet to grant an imperial audience. Best butterfly of the morning was a Wood White, only my second here which was good enough to pose for a few pictures. I'm not sure where these occasional visitors come from though Geddington Chase has been mooted by others.

Wood White and Black Hairstreak



Away from the butterflies a Crossbill provided another highlight as a single bird was calling from pines closer to the Brigstock end of the wood. Other good birds were a male and female Cuckoo which were both heard calling and there was also a family party of Marsh Tits. If the butterfly version let me down then the dragonfly variant did not as at least ten Emperors were present. Not much other wildlife to report other than a couple of Fallow Deer. On my way through Weldon I popped into the pocket park where a Broad-bodied Chaser was seen.

Wood White (again!), Emperor and Fallow Deer




No comments:

Post a Comment