Sunday 26 February 2023

Busy Barnwell

 A sunny Sunday morning is perhaps not the best time to visit Barnwell CP if you want to avoid disturbance. Unfortunately I work during the week and so I found myself joining the bustling throng of people that descended on the park today. Despite the hordes I had an enjoyable time photographing a selection of common species from the two hides.

Mandarins, Marsh Tit and Nuthatch




Kingfisher Hide was rather quiet, some squabbling geese and not much else were my reward for visiting. Rather more pleasing were two pairs of Mandarin Ducks joining the Mallard flock near the bridge on North Lake. Lowlands Hide unlike Kingfisher provided views of quite a few birds as they were tempted down by food put there by photographers. The highlight was perhaps a Marsh Tit though I always enjoy good views of Nuthatch too. Coal and Long-tailed Tits are unusual visitors to the feeders here so I was glad to see examples of both. As the park was by now becoming busier I decided to call it quits and so set off for a stroll along the river.

Long-tailed, Coal and Blue Tits




On the floods near the A605 there were decent numbers of Teal and Wigeon as well as a few Shoveller and Gadwall. A flock of about a hundred Lapwings were also present before they took off and headed out along the valley. Water levels are dropping here so it may not be too long before other waders pay a visit. After my look at the floods I headed off into town for a pint before catching my return bus home.

Blackbird, Jackdaw and Lapwings




No comments:

Post a Comment