Sunday 19 February 2023

Quick Return To Blatherwycke

 Blatherwycke Lake seems to be hitting a rich vein of form at the moment, after last week's gawp at a Scaup it was time for a Smew view or two today. A drake and a redhead had been reported yesterday and I scrounged a lift out there this morning hoping to catch up with them. Smew are scarcer in Northants than they are in Leicestershire or Rutland so it's always worth tracking them down if possible and particularly so when they're so close to home.

Smew record shots



A cold though sunny start gave way to some lovely Spring like conditions and I enjoyed my walk along the road next to the lake. Both Smews were found fairly quickly though they remained distant throughout my stay. Despite this I had great views through the scope of my first ever at this site. Eventually I had to pull myself away though not before noting a double figure count of Mandarin Ducks, an Egyptian Goose and a Kingfisher. Leaving Blatherwycke village on my way towards Deene I was surprised to see a wallaby warming itself in the morning sun. Clearly the little blighter had escaped from a garden in the village where they have a collection of such critters and I hope he returns there before the next bout of harsh weather.

Kingfisher and wallaby



My stroll along to Deene was mostly uneventful and Deene itself was a little dull too. The first Lesser Celandines of the year were a welcome sign that Winter may be on the way out and so too was a large bumblebee buzzing around near the lake. Best birds on the lake itself were a few Shelduck and a couple of Shovellers. Nearby Deenethorpe was quiet too though I did see my first butterfly of the year. Although it was probably a Peacock I couldn't quite rule out Red Admiral and so it has to go down as unconfirmed. With my walk to Weldon being similarly unexciting I popped into the pub before catching my bus home.

Lesser Celandines and Grey Herons



No comments:

Post a Comment