Thursday 2 March 2023

Wicksteed Has The Anser

 I have to work on Saturday which means that my firm had to give me a day off in the week. Today was that day and I made use of my free time by taking a trip over to Wicksteed Park. Happily my bus was mostly free of schoolkids so I had a relatively peaceful journey. With the weather looking fine and the park not too busy I set off to look for the long staying Pink-footed Goose.

Don't call it Nelson! Pink-footed Goose



I'm happy to say that there was no wild goose chase on the cards for me as the bird was found very quickly. It was feeding close to the park's railway station in the company of some Greylags. There's always an element of doubt regarding single geese, a slight suspicion that they may have jumped a fence rather than crossed a sea. Whether Pinkies are a popular bird in captivity I don't know but there have been a few singletons reported locally this winter in the company of Greylags. Sadly this bird appears to have an injured left eye which may explain why it has hung around so long. Satisfied with my views and having taken plenty of pics I went for a stroll around the rest of the park.

Siskin and Reed Bunting



There was not a great deal else of note to report, a small group of Siskins were found in trees adjacent to the fishing lake and at least one of the males was singing. On the main lake a second Winter Yellow-legged Gull was keeping company with twenty or so Herrings before flying off with several other immatures. A lunch appointment with my wife in Corby meant that I couldn't loiter for too long and so I set off for my bus but not before having another peek at that goose.

Second Winter Yellow-legged Gull



No comments:

Post a Comment