Saturday 26 November 2022

Welland Valley Not A Washout

 We've had quite a lot of rain recently and I've seen several flooded areas while out and about on my travels. This made me think that a walk along the Welland Valley might be productive and so I set out this morning with that goal in mind. My trek through the town was pretty tedious with only a flock of Fieldfares flying over Coronation Park to relieve the boredom. The tedium continued as some floodwater below Cottingham had not attracted that many birds and so I walked on towards Rockingham hoping for a change of fortune.

Buzzard


Things were beginning to look unpromising with little in the way of floods and only a small selection of common birds to report. Rockingham was passed and I continued on towards Gretton with little to report. Relief finally came nearer Gretton when I reached an area with some flooding that had brought in a lot of gulls. Large numbers of Lapwings were swirling over the fields occasionally landing but always nervous and ready to take flight. Joining them were six Dunlins while at least one hundred and twenty Golden Plovers were noted. I decided to leave the valley behind and walked up towards the escarpment near Brookfield Plantation. Any hope of seeing decent birds was dashed by a party of recreational killers blasting away at some hapless creatures nearby. More were shooting in Brookfield though I did at least manage to see some Redpolls and Siskins in spite of the noise. My stroll past the Peregrine site on my way home failed to produce any sightings.

Lapwings, Dunlins and Golden Plovers



No comments:

Post a Comment