Friday 18 February 2022

Eunice's Wild Embrace

Don't worry, I'm not taking the blog into the tawdry realms of romantic fiction I'm just name checking the latest winter storm to crash against British shores. Northants is going to avoid the worst of the effects but the winds still have more than enough force to do some damage. My new shift pattern means that I get every second Friday off and so not wanting to waste it I braved the less than ideal conditions to take the short walk over to the area near the the STW.

Goldfinch


One thing the wind has done is to halt the architectural efforts of the noisy Magpies next door and I do wonder how many other nests will suffer in the gales, species such as Grey Herons may have to do some serious repair work over the coming days. Although some places may receive a visit from storm driven waifs and strays I wasn't expecting to see any divers or seabirds on my travels though I suspect other observers may benefit from the storm's ill effects. Several Teal had returned to the ponds and I could hear their whistling calls. Bird song was not surprisingly rather muted with just those diehards such as Robins and Great Tits in voice. A Great Spotted Woodpecker was my first here for a while whereas a Grey Wagtail and several Redwings were more regular fare. Weather conditions were by this point now deteriorating and so I abandoned my efforts and headed off for a long lunch in the local pub. 

No comments:

Post a Comment