Sunday 13 February 2022

Wet And Windy Willowbrook

 Just a short one this morning as I wanted to avoid the forecast rain that was due to arrive sometime before midday. What I couldn't avoid was a strong westerly breeze which seemed to appeal to gulls and kites but little else.

Siskins



A brief stop at the STW failed to produce anything and so I continued my walk to Weldon. I had a look at the A43 pond where the wildfowl were much as they were before. Quite a large flock of Siskins were coming down to drink while a Grey Wagtail flew over. From here I made my way to Willowbrook Industrial Estate which due to a lack of cover was receiving quite a battering from the wind. Despite the unpleasantness of the conditions Skylarks were still rising into the grey skies to pour out their songs. Small numbers of Meadow Pipits were present on site while the flock of Yellowhammers has grown to about forty birds. Not much else to report birdwise aside from several flocks of Starlings moving in a westerly direction. Three Brown Hares looked incongruous as they moved around the cleared area next to the Morrison's warehouse. I suppose they had been moved on from the nearby playing fields at the CBA where I often see them feeding. Sadly hares love the same sort of brown field sites that developers prize and this species suffers more then most from the destructive efforts of the builders. By now the rain had just begun and I set off for home seeing another flock of Siskins on the edge of the steelworks as I passed by.

Brown Hare.


No comments:

Post a Comment