Saturday 12 February 2022

Beanz Meanz er Welney

 Nine Tundra Bean Geese have been making the WWT reserve at Welney their home recently and that was the magnet that drew my brother David and I there this morning. Some pleasant sunshine helped to offset the chilling effect of the strong breeze and improved viewing conditions too.

Tundra Bean Geese



The Beans showed well if a little distantly from the main observatory and the views through the scopes were good. As I wanted to attempt a few record shots I moved from the main building with its glass windows to a hide next door. Sadly the geese spent almost the entire time sleeping so did not present much of a spectacle but I kept a beady eye on them just in case they decided to do something more active. My fixation on the snoozing geese cost me several decent birds as not only did I miss a fly by Cattle Egret but also a White-tailed Eagle doing likewise! My brother who had stayed in the main building saw both but to his credit did not gloat about it, not so sure I could have shown the same restraint! Other good stuff on the reserve included Pintail, Whooper Swan and Marsh Harrier while the best of the other wildlife was a Muntjac.

Welney wildfowl




On the way home we popped into Eldernell which preserved its reputation for being one of the windiest places on earth. We braved the gale to scan the area but did not see much, I presume most of the birds were sheltering somewhere more hospitable. It was not a waste of time however as a single Short-eared Owl was found roosting in amongst a pile of branches. Not wishing to stay out in the wind we packed up the gear before retreating into the car and heading home.

Muntjac and Short-eared Owl.



No comments:

Post a Comment