Tuesday 15 June 2021

Twitching Again

 My dinner was rudely interrupted by a text and then phone call from Alan Shorrock letting me know that he had found a Beautiful Demoiselle at the Willowbrook stream near Corby town centre. Forgetting yesterday's misadventures at the hands or perhaps feather tips of that pinky vested poseur I set off on another twitch. Abandoning dinner and receiving an admonishing shake of the head from my wife for my troubles I grabbed my camera and set off at a brisk pace.

Coupled Beautiful Demoiselles.


Having reached the stream I found Shozzer in position on the bridge where the stream is culverted before running under Studfall Avenue. Alan had additional good news to impart, the original male had been joined by a female and both were in a sunlit patch of vegetation and showing. They obliged me with views and I managed a couple of record shots before the sun moved off the nettles and the Dems went off to roost. Quite where these surprise visitors came from is unclear and why they chose such a slow moving stretch of water is a mystery but they're questions for another day, I'm just going to enjoy the moment! Hopefully I can get back a little later in the week.

Male and female Beautiful Demoiselles



In the brief time that I spent there I also saw singles of Banded Demoiselle, Large Red Damselfly and Common Blue Damselfly as well as a very fresh looking Small Tortoiseshell.

No comments:

Post a Comment