Tuesday 8 June 2021

Get Your Paps Out!

 With the birding world having now settled down for a bit it's time to reach for those Pentax Papillos or other close focus binoculars and get out and enjoy the insect life. It was just such a thought after work this afternoon that prompted me to pay a visit to Harry's Park Wood. With blue skies and warm temperatures I hoped to see something interesting and I was not disappointed though there were a few frustrations along the way!

Harry's Park Wood.


The highlight was a couple of sightings of Wood White, after last year's individual I was hoping that I might strike lucky again. Sadly just like last year's flighty little beggar this one didn't settle either and I didn't manage to get a shot. There were few other butterflies to enjoy in the wood but while walking along Bears Lane on my way home I managed to see my first Painted Lady of the year.

Broad-bodied Chasers.



Also showing were at least four Emperors, my first of the year, hawking along the rides and unlike the Wood White several did settle but never anywhere where I could see them. More obliging from a photography point of view were the Broad-bodied Chasers of which four were seen. The only other ode was a single Large Red Damselfly.

Large Red Damselfly and Painted Lady



Best birds were a male and female Cuckoo and a singing Lesser Whitethroat while the only other wildlife of note were two Fallow Deer.

Fallow Deer and Buzzard.



No comments:

Post a Comment