Sunday 4 April 2021

Spring Strolling

 Although I had a chance to visit Frampton Marsh today I declined the kind offer as I wanted to look for migrants locally - with hindsight perhaps I made the wrong choice! After a frosty start it developed in a nice day that was warm when out of the breeze, with temperatures set to plunge from tomorrow onwards this could be our last taste of spring for a while.

Fallow Deer and Greylag Geese



I tweaked my now familiar route to Deene by going via Deenethorpe airfield before returning via Priors Hall and Weldon. A Blackcap singing in the village was the first of what turned out to be quite a few as they become more established. It was quiet after this until I saw a first Willow Warbler of the year near Corby's recycling centre. My walk across the airfield did not produce the hoped for Wheatear though Deenethorpe village was host to my first Swallows of the year. Nearby at Deene Lake it was rather dull, Shelduck numbers had dropped to one though it had been joined by two pairs of Shoveller. A Small Tortoiseshell also showed and it was the first of several butterflies noted today. Near the farm ponds a Raven was heard croaking from somewhere within Deene Park.

Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell.



Another Raven was seen at Priors Hall where a pair of Mandarin Ducks were also noted as well as a further three Willow Warblers.  I chewed the fat with Alan Shorrock for a while as he too was enjoying a walk around the site and we saw another Swallow passing through as well as a Sand Martin while butterflies seen amounted to several Peacocks. Having left both Priors and Shozzer behind I had a quick look at the quarry as I passed and saw that the Sand Martins were now present in good numbers. By now it was pleasantly warm and I was beginning to see more butterflies, mostly Peacocks with the occasional Tortie but the signs looked promising.

Small White and Orange-tip.



In Weldon near the A43 pond I saw my first Small White of the year and it settled long enough for a pic or two. Across the road on the industrial estate I added Orange-tip to my year list with a sighting of a female. I can't recall seeing females before males before though she was fairly obliging and I got a few snaps of her too. There were two male Brimstones near the steelworks thought neither settled in view and I had to content myself with a duff record shot of one in flight. My final stop of the day was near the STW where I added Comma to my day list and also saw a male Orange-tip.

Brimstone and Bee-fly.



Amongst the other wildlife noted today were four Fallow Deer near Weldon Park Wood, a Brown Hare at the airfield, lots of Bee-flies and also many Drone Flies.



No comments:

Post a Comment