Monday 5 April 2021

Monday Blues

 Winter returned today as a chill northerly wind sent temperatures plummeting and ushered in a return to snowy conditions even if it was only for an hour or so. My walk took me over to Harringworth Lodge Lake via Brookfield Plantation and Gretton where once the snow had moved on conditions were clear and sunny.

Peregrine and distant Osprey.



My walk took me past the Peregrine site where one of the birds was in situ, I saw it or another on my return walk too. Nearby Brookfield had a small flock of Siskins and at least one Redpoll and several Teal were still present on one of the ponds. A single Willow warbler was singing at the flooded quarry near the Gretton road despite the snow, two Fieldfares near the village were perhaps more representative of the weather. On the other side of Gretton a distant Osprey was seen heading into Rutland with a fish in its talons and was my first of the year. Harringworth Lodge Lake actually had a few birds on it of which the pick was a pair of Mandarins. Fairly near to the lake a herd of about ten Fallow Deer were seen running into one of the stretches of woodland.

Buzzard and Red Kite



Having returned home I was given the chance to visit Wakerley Wood and I was more than happy to accept the offer. Most of the time was spent around the car park and picnic area where Siskins and Redpolls were feeding in the larches. Crossbills were heard several times and I had a brief view of a female at the top of a pine. Similarly brief were my views of two Bramblings which looked as if they were coming down to drink but flew off as if spooked by something. Final sighting of note was of two Ravens flying over the carpark, it looked as if one was trying to drive the other off.

Mandarin Duck and Cormorant



While returning home I got a text telling me that a Great Northern Diver had been found just over the border at Eyebrook Reservoir which meant a diversion was called for. The diver showed quite distantly as it fed constantly spending far more time under water than on it. Also showing were a large number of hirundines feeding low over the water, mainly Swallows and Sand Martins though at least one House Martin was also seen. I couldn't find the Brent Goose that has been present for about a week though during my search for it I saw two Brown Hares. By now my belly was rumbling somewhat so I called it quits and headed for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment