Monday 24 February 2020

Soggy Squirrels and Damp Dunnocks

Back to Northamptonshire after an overnight stay in St Helens and back in time too to enjoy the rain. I stuck to my recent Monday routine by visiting Barnwell CP hoping that the hides might at least provide some welcome shelter.

sinensis race Cormorant and bathing Grey Squirrel

Kingfisher Hide did receive a couple of brief visits from its namesake though I didn't manage to catch a glimpse of any, it was the shrill calls that betrayed their presence. No otters either, they seem to have moved on for now at least. The absence of otters did not mean that any fish could afford to relax however as at least two Cormorants visited during my stay. One of these was a fine looking sinensis race bird and was the first that I've seen here this winter. While the rain seemed to limit the amount of  passerines showing it didn't appear to stop any from singing. A noisy Wren that took cover from the rain in a woodpile was eventually moved on by a bedraggled looking squirrel. It in turn was scared off by a large dog that ran in front of the hide, can't owners keep better control of their hounds? Happily the squirrel remained unharmed though it didn't return, just as well perhaps that the otters didn't show.

Wren and Dunnock.


Lowlands Hide had the usual selection of passerines including Marsh Tits and Nuthatches and a small number of Reed Buntings. Wood Pigeons and more squirrels were hoovering up the food that I'd put down and I took advantage of the break in the rain to head back into town. On the way I watched the resident pair of Mistle Thrushes flying up to mob a passing Red Kite but I couldn't find anything else of interest. There was no sign of the Peregrine either and only the rooftop Jackdaws and more kites kept me entertained whilst waiting for the ever tardy X4.

Nuthatch, Chaffinch and Reed Bunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment