Monday 3 February 2020

Pleasant Day For A Stroll

Fancying a change from my usual Monday routine I opted for a walk between Upper Benefield and Corby. Major rarity for the day was an on time bus which meant that I could begin my walk before nine.

Country lane and Yellowhammer.

Between Upper Benefield and Deenethorpe there was a good selection of farmland species though I couldn't find any Tree Sparrows. I'm hoping that their absence is temporary as the lane here is usually very good for them. Several fairly large flocks of Yellowhammer were noted while Skylarks were in fine voice. Red Kites and Buzzards showed well and I saw several Kestrels and a Sparrowhawk. A small flock of about twenty Lapwings near the airfield seemed nervous, perhaps not too surprising given how many raptors were on the wing.

Deene Lake Snipe and nosy sheep.

Deene Lake inflow had the usual flock of Teal while the Wheelie Bin Triangle held eleven Snipe. Moving from here towards the main lake provided my saddest moment when I found a dead Barn Owl along the A43. This road exacts a heavy toll on the local wildlife, a Muntjac was found a few yards away from the owl. Happily it wasn't all doom and gloom along the verge as my first Lesser Celandines of the Spring were found. The usual selection of wildfowl was seen on the lake including the regular Shelducks.


Dead Barn Owl, Lesser Celandine and Snowdrops.

My stroll along Kirby Lane was uneventful, a brief rain shower was the only thing of note other than a group of four Fallow Deer. At Willowbrook Industrial I took a slight diversion and found the pair of Stonechats at their usual spot. Afterwards it was off to the George at Weldon for lunch with my wife.

Stonechats.

No comments:

Post a Comment