Friday 7 February 2020

For Fog's Sake

A day off and the news that a Black Redstart had been seen on St Peter's church at Oundle decided my plans for me today. What I hadn't taken into account was some pretty thick fog which made for some fairly challenging viewing conditions! While I didn't catch up with the elusive redstart during either of my two visits it was seen today by luckier or better birders.

Here be redstarts - apparently!

Just about visible on the spire of the church was a presumed male Peregrine, lower than I've seen him in the past but for obvious reasons my photos were less than stunning. Although I did return once the fog had lifted the bird had done a disappearing act perhaps in search of some late breakfast. Other birds noted during my search included plenty of kites and some overflying Siskins.

Peregrine waiting for the fog to lift.

From the church I went for a long walk along the Nene starting at the North Bridge. More and more birdsong is beginning to make itself heard with Song Thrushes in particular in fine voice. It was just as well perhaps as for most of the early part of my walk the bulk of my birding was by ear. Little Egrets are quite scarce on this stretch of the Nene so seeing one near Ashton Weir was welcome, there seemed to be a decent number of Grey Herons along the river too. By the time that I reached the A605 floods the sun was shining through and visibility had improved greatly. A Woodcock was flushed from riverside vegetation and was my first at this site. Plenty of Wigeons on the water with smaller numbers of Teal while a sizeable flock of Lapwings were observed. Less obvious but still welcome were three Snipe hiding around the margins.

Floody record shots.

Barnwell CP was quiet with very little wildlife on view, a couple of Bank Voles were probably the most entertaining. A return visit to the church as hinted at earlier failed to produce any sightings of interest though a visit to the Ship pub helped to ease any feelings of disappointment!

Dunnock and Pied Wagtail.

No comments:

Post a Comment