Wednesday 21 November 2018

Swan Hat Trick

With more than a little trepidation I boarded the X4 again today and went over to Earls Barton but despite recent complaints about this erratic service today went OK. I arrived at the village at around about dawn and from there set out on my walk to Summer Leys.

Mill Lake and Whooper Swan.

Two Ravens flew over as I got to the end of Mill Lane, these or another pair were very vocal a little later on in trees near to Hardwater Mill. Having crossed over the bridge at Earls Barton Lock I began to check through the swans on Mill Lake. It took all of a second to pick out an adult Whooper amongst the many Mutes, it swam around the lake calling repeatedly, presumably trying to find a kindred soul amongst the hordes of its commoner cousins. In reeds on the lake shore a Water Rail squealed while waterside willows held my second Chiffchaff in as many days.

Raven and Magpie.

Plenty of winter thrushes were feeding in hawthorns around the reserve and were joined in this by many Blackbirds. A Great White Egret showed well though briefly on the opposite side of the road to the reserve but it took flight before I could get a picture. Several Cetti's Warblers were singing on site and I also heard another Chiffchaff calling. Plenty of ducks were on the reserve though there was nothing beyond the usual selection on view, half a dozen Goldeneyes were the pick.

Shoveller, Teal and Mute Swan.

Lots of activity around the feeding station where Goldfinches were certainly the noisiest diners if not the commonest. I checked through the many Chaffinches present but couldn't find any Bramblings, it doesn't look as if this is going to be a particularly good winter for them. Nothing much else of interest was seen during my visit so I headed off back to the village. If you're wondering what the third swan making up the hat trick was then I can reveal that it was the Old Swan where I enjoyed several pints of Sharp's Atlantic. Not tickable of course but then none too shoddy all the same.

Finch Folio.

No comments:

Post a Comment