Sunday 25 November 2018

Over the Border

A lunch date in Caldecott, Rutland shaped my plans for today and I picked a walk that would take me to the Plough Inn at the appointed hour. I began just after dawn with a walk through the town on my way to East Carlton Park.

Fog in the valley and East Carlton Hall.

Just the normal selection of birds were on view as I made my way with crows cawing confrontationally from assorted aerials and chimneys and Magpies looking out for any left over takeaway morsels. Both species of winter thrush were heard passing over, I heard many more throughout the day. As well as singing Robins and Wrens I also heard both Song and Mistle Thrush. At the boating lake there was nothing to report except that a Muscovy Duck appears to have joined the flock of Mallards and near Mallards.

Bucker Bestmann and Buzzard.

Not a great deal between the edge of Corby and East Carlton though the park itself had at least one Brambling with the Chaffinches close to the resident's entrance. Plenty of the commoner species around also and these included both Marsh Tit and Nuthatches. Heading out from the park and over the border into Leicestershire I was overflown by both a DH Chipmunk and an Egyptian built Bucker Bestmann, strange to see an aeroplane with black crosses in this neck of the woods! Few interesting birds to report though with Wigeons seen at two spots on either side of the border and views of Buzzard, Kites and a Kestrel.

Robin and Mistle Thrush.

I reached Caldecott about an hour early and so rather than hang around wandered down to the Welland for a peek. It looked as if I was going to have to settle for just enjoying the view until a look through the bins at a suspected Moorhen revealed a Water Rail swimming up the Northants side of the river. I've been birding this area for years and this is the first time that I've seen one here, how big a part does look play in birding? After this I headed back to the village and my appointment with lunch.

Jackdaw and the River Welland.

No comments:

Post a Comment