Monday 26 November 2018

Dodging Showers at Barnwell

Another long wait for the X4 this morning but I did eventually get over to Oundle where I took a short walk along the river. It was quite a mix of sun, clouds and showers but I managed to avoid getting wet.

River view and Kingfisher.

Not too much of interest along the river where there were plenty of winter thrushes and also a singing Song Thrush. At the Princess fishing lake near the marina five Mandarins were seen while a Kingfisher perched briefly next to the river. From here I walked over to Barnwell where with the sun now being out I hoped to find a late darter dragonfly but I couldn't find any, looks like the season is finally over.

Nuthatch and Dunnock.

Plenty of the commoner birds were active with lots of birds visiting the feeders at Lowlands Hide. Nuthatches showed very well today with at least two birds visiting. Most interesting species was a Chiffchaff moving through some willows, that's three within a week that I've found in the county. A pair of Teal were probably the best ducks, a female Mandarin was present too. Having enjoyed an enjoyable few hours watching I headed back into town for a thankfully stress free journey home.

One legged Chaffinch and Blue Tit.

No comments:

Post a Comment