Monday 12 November 2018

Ring-billed or stRing-billed?

I opted for a trip over to Wicksteed Park this morning and after an hour's journey courtesy of the X4 I arrived at my destination. It was a fine and sunny morning and potentially it delivered my best county bird of the year.

Mute Swan and lake view.

At the main boating lake there was the usual collection of gulls with Black-headed and Commons making up most of the numbers although there were a couple of Herring and one Lesser Black-backed too. Small numbers of wildfowl included Shovellers amongst their number though oddly I saw neither a heron or Cormorant at all today

Gull gallery, Herring, Common and Black-headed.

The fishing lake held a good number of Gadwalls and at least one Kingfisher while a Chiffchaff was induced to sing by the warm sunshine. A male Common Darter was also taking advantage of the conditions though it did not settle long enough for a picture.

Ring-billed Gull?

Returning to the main lake I scanned the group of gulls perched on posts near to the board walk. One stood out as being a bit different from its neighbours being larger than the surrounding Black-heads and slightly bigger than nearby Commons. Its paler mantle and pale eye as well as a black band on the bill lead me to tentatively I.D it as a second winter Ring-billed Gull. The only possible confusion risk could be a very small Herring Gull but the greyish green legs and lack of red on the bill of what would be an almost full adult bird suggests not. I've sent the picture to people who are a little more larus savvy than me who will hopefully give me a definite aye or nay. Either way the bird was knocked of its perch by a landing Black-headed and flew up the lake towards the islands. I did look for it amongst the many gulls but couldn't relocate it, hopefully it will hang around.


Not a great deal else to report though it turned out to be a nice day for photography.

Great Crested Grebe.

No comments:

Post a Comment