Monday 9 October 2017

I'm Alright Jack

Back to the county and back down to earth with a bump... or so I thought. Things began with a bit of excitement as I enjoyed views of a Sparrowhawk chasing a Great Spotted Woodpecker over the rooftops of Upper Benefield, the woodie survived. A little further on a small group of Tree Sparrows were encountered in their usual spot on the road to Deenethorpe. A flock of twenty five or so Redwings were seen heading westwards, these are the first that I've seen this Autumn, I heard one on Friday morning whilst on my way to work. Continuing on my way I noted a flock of thirteen Golden Plovers in a tight V heading northwards, I was to hear Goldies twice more before the day's birding was over. Good numbers of Lapwings were seen too in much the same area as they were on my last visit.
Well it's not that long until Christmas.

No shortage of Greylags at Deene Lake.
The inflow at Deene Lake was once again nice and muddy and there were two Green Sandpipers feeding. These however where seen forgotten when I picked out a Jack Snipe which was my first  for quite a while. I managed a photo of sorts but the birds were flushed by some unseen menace and the Jack scarpered off into cover. The main body of the lake was covered in Greylag Geese and a selection of the commoner ducks. Now some people can be rather scathing about Cat C wildfowl and I'm not always impressed with a honking great mass of either Canadas or Greylags but other species add a dash of the exotic to what can otherwise be a dull day. Egyptian Geese seem to attract lots of negative comments but I like them, they're rather a striking bird and unless they've been causing harm to local species then I'm happy that they're here. If you don't like Cat C dross then don't read the next bit as Black Swans are not even tickable!  The lone swan that's been resident here for yonks has acquired a partner, I don't know where from though I'm ruling out mail order. Either way another has arrived and I hope for the swan's sake it's of the opposite sex. I've never seen Black Swan cygnets before but I'm more hopeful that may change in the future.
Jack Snipe.

A Peregrine, which was more than likely the cause of the earlier disturbance was seen from the churchyard where Mistle Thrushes were still feeding on Yew berries. I checked some kinglets here but they refused to turn into the hoped for Firecrests. Plenty of Meadow Pipits still around and a number of Skylarks appear to be on the move, Deenethorpe airfield was good for both species. Another notable sighting here was a female Stonechat, could it be the bird from last year returning? A male Kestrel took the days raptor total up to five.
You aint from around here are you?

Bears Lane was alive with birds, a huge tit flock was duly checked but I couldn't find anything rare. Eight Siskins were my first of the Autumn and I had views of a couple more Redwings. This wave of Autumnal goodies was interrupted by the sighting of a Chiffchaff which was my only warbler of the day.
Stonechat.

Not much other wildlife to report, a few Small Coppers, two Fallow Deer near Burn Coppice and also a Hornet lingering menacingly around some Ivy.
Fallow Deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment