Wednesday 25 October 2017

Demoiselles Bow Out but Darters Dally

I really had to have one more peek at the stream in Weldon just in case any Demoiselles were holding on. Unfortunately, and that despite some prolonged searching, I couldn't find any despite the bright and warm sunshine. So their season ran from May the 7th until October the 15th, a pretty good show when all said and done. I've always enjoyed seeing this species and that I believe stems from my first view of them many years ago at Barnwell CP. It seemed hard to believe at the time that such a gorgeous insect could have escaped my attention up until that moment but rest assured they don't now. Another relative may have some claims to the moniker but I've always thought that this species is beautiful.

Darter Gallery.

Dragons were still represented today with at least ten Common Darters about, many were basking on any suitable surface and posed for photographs. Two Migrant Hawkers were busy feeding and did not settle during the time I was there.
Autumn Colour.

It wasn't all about the dragonflies however as the sun worked its magic on the butterflies too and three species were seen. A brief glimpse of a Small Torty was my first in a while and there were rather a lot of Red Admirals and two Commas on view. At least four of the former in company with one of the latter were feeding on Ivy flowers and showed well. Another patch of Ivy held a Hornet which appeared to be on the look out for something tasty which was likely to have been bad news for any wasps, bees or hoverflies.
Long-tailed Tit.

Not much bird life about, a few Buzzards, a Kite and some Siskins as well as a large and noisy flock of Long-tailed Tits.

No comments:

Post a Comment