Tuesday 18 July 2017

Willows? Check. Emeralds? Check. Willow Emeralds? Er... No.

Had a look at the pond near Eurohub after work where the many overhanging branches have me optimistically thinking of exotic colonists. Suffice to say that I had no luck with my targets...this time, I will be checking again in the future. Star attraction was an Emerald which was my first for the site. He had to battle a string of Blue-taileds which may have mistook him for a big version of themselves but he had more than enough muscle to send them packing. Other damsels seen today included a male Banded Demoiselle, an Azure, lots of Common Blues, a few Red-eyeds and lots of the aforementioned Blue-tailed.
The Eurohub Pond, potential Willow Emerald site?
 


Close but no cigar, Emerald Damsel.

At the moment Brown Hawkers seem to be ovipositing everywhere, if I spilt a glass of water I wouldn't be surprised to find them on the resulting puddle within minutes! A male Emperor was ruling the roost over a couple of Four-spotted Chasers and Common Darters though a male Southern Hawker gave me a bit of a shock. He had been patrolling the shady margins of the pond for some time before he decided to land.. on my arm! A sweary moment of surprise and some one handed fumbling with the camera sent him on his way before I could get what would have been a memorable shot.
Yes it's another Brown Hawker but they are rather attractive.
 
Azure Damselfly

At least four Silver-washed Fritillaries were seen along with their commoner cousins, Peacock, Red Admiral and Small Tort. The usual combination of browns and whites were noted while a Large Skipper was also seen. Highlight amongst the birds was a Grey Wagtail near to the Tesco superstore.
Blue-tailed Damsel.

No comments:

Post a Comment