Monday 10 July 2017

More Frit-bits.

A desire to confirm the presence of Silver-washed Fritillaries in the town's Brookfield Plantation had me wandering in that direction this morning. My first find was a nice male Broad-bodied Chaser which was only my third of the year. In the same area the three skippers and the usual browns were found quickly while both Small Tort and Comma showed well too.
Broad-bodied Chaser.

A bit of a surprise came a little further into the wood when I disturbed a family of Brown Hares, I can't recall ever having seen them in here before. The rides had a couple of Brown Hawkers hunting along them while I watched a Southern Hawker catch one of the many Ringlets. On the subject of Ringlets one little patch of ragwort had ten feeding on it, evidently the poison doesn't effect them.
Brown Hare, a site first for me.

I thought that I may have drawn a Fritillary shaped blank until one whizzed by in the usual fashion and once again I failed to get a Brookfield one on camera. Luckily while I was checking out a couple of dried out ponds I found a male taking in nutrients from the ground and he posed very nicely thank-you. Two more were seen before I left while the former ponds also attracted Red Admiral, Green-veined and Small Whites down for some mud licking.
Ringlet Ragwort Restaurant.

While walking home along the footpath next to the power station I got great views of a female frit feeding on knapweed, while the males appear to favour brambles the females are more catholic in their tastes.
Male Silver-washed Fritillary.

The old Sunday market site still has Marbled Whites on view while a first new brood Common Blue will no doubt be joined by many more. Two Peregrines provided the birding highlight of the day though the plantation had a good variety of the commoner species on show.
Female Silver-washed Fritillary.

No comments:

Post a Comment