Saturday, 3 October 2026

Harriers

 I've been somewhat under the weather recently and had to take a couple of days off work to recover from a severe cold. This morning I felt better and so opted to have another look at the Nene Valley. I left my home with the breaking dawn, a thin band of pale pink lit the eastern horizon as I made my way to a rendezvous with my less than trusty friend the X4. My walk towards the town centre was quiet except for the sound of serenading Robins and the occasional hum of a passing car. Bucking the recent trend my bus was on time and I was soon making slow progress through the Northamptonshire countryside.

Egyptian Geese and Stonechat



A mere hour and twenty five minutes later I found myself at Earls Barton and wasted no time in making my way towards the Nene. A distant Fox was seen from Mill Lane while the first of many Cetti's Warblers was heard at the sluice near the mill itself. Hardwater Lake hosted a Great White Egret but it was the unusual sight of a totally white Egyptian Goose that stole the show. It fed with five of its more conventionally coloured cousins on the grassy shore next to the lake.

Marsh Harriers



The reserve was fairly quiet, wildfowl numbers seemed low while waders were all but absent. From Pioneer Hide two cream crowned Marsh Harriers were noted and these included a yellow-tagged individual with the letters JD. This bird was apparently ringed as a nestling this year along with her two sisters  and brother at Thorpe Haddiscoe in Norfolk. A male Stonechat was seen from Paul Britten hide while a Snipe was seen from the screen.  Having finished at the Leys I then set off towards Wellingborough though my walk did not produce too much of mote, a Raven being the best bird. My stroll ended at the Coach and Horses where a couple of pints went down very well indeed.

Grey Heron






No comments:

Post a Comment