Thursday, 8 October 2026

Feeling Chilly

 I have three days off  though yesterday's travels took me no further than the pub, I didn't fancy squelching about in the rain. Today was a different matter with plenty of sunshine and clear blue skies though a brisk north westerly wind meant that it was the coldest day for many months. I wanted to see if any wildfowl might be on the move, Pink-footed Geese and Whooper Swans were my main targets.  My plan was to visit the north facing ridge that overlooks the Welland Valley a little to the west of Gretton and look from there.

Peregrine and Pheasant



Whilst hanging out the washing a Redwing, my first of the autumn, flew over my garden in Corby Old Village. On my way to Brookfield I stopped at the Peregrine site and managed to see one bird sheltering from the breeze. Things were quiet in the plantation, a small number of Siskins and a Grey Wagtail were the best birds while several Fallow Deer were also noted.  The large field between the wood and the Gretton road held an inquisitive herd of bullocks which followed my every move and I wasted no time in getting away from them.

Fallow Deer and Great Spotted Woodpecker



From the ridge I failed to see any migrating geese or swans but did get small numbers of Skylarks, Siskins, Chaffinches and Mipits heading south while Red Kites were hanging in the wind. My walk along the valley towards Rockingham was unproductive while my journey through the village reminded me of just how steep that blessed hill is! A pint in the spoons helped revive me and fortified me for the long stroll home.

No comments:

Post a Comment