Friday, 9 October 2026

The Rocky Horrid Picture Show

 I teamed up with Alan Shorrock again this morning for a trip to the dam area at Rutland Water. While it was much drier than the weather forecast had suggested it was going to be the westerly breeze was strong and slightly uncomfortable. Our targets were Rock Pipits, they seem to have been moving through locally and the shore close to the dam here has been productive in the past. Braving the school traffic we managed to get to the res just before nine.

Rock Pipits - Honestly!



Rather surprisingly I managed to find a Rock Pipit within minutes of arrival, it's not often that my plans bear any fruit and I was smugly happy with the result. The bird disappeared soon after its discovery but we soon refound it and then realised that it had another for company. Both birds were watched for several minutes but disappeared from sight soon after, a bank angler may have hastened their departure. Due to a combination of distance and light my pictures were frightful but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to share them with you - sorry! We spent a lot of time trying to get further views but our efforts came to naught. Little else of note was seen, a small flock of Redwings flew over and a few Goosanders showed but overall it was pretty poor.

Goosander and Tufted Duck



A diversion to one of our favourite haunts, the Cross Key's in King's Cliffe, then followed where I enjoyed a couple of pints while Shozzer had his usual one. We stopped at Blatherwycke on the way back to Corby but did not find anything interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment