Monday 15 July 2024

White-letter Day

 I got up this morning feeling almost bright-eyed and possibly even bushy tailed which was a pleasant surprise given how much beer I swigged while at the Highland Gathering and whilst watching the football. As it was quite sunny I decided to do a spot of butterfly hunting along the Old Kettering Road near Great Oakley. After a relatively short trip on the X4 and a longish walk I found myself wandering along the road hoping to catch up with some White-lettered Hairstreaks.

Essex and Small Skipper



The sunshine was fairly hazy and butterflies were in short supply, at first I only saw a Gatekeeper and several Commas. As the sun got a little warmer there was a bit more activity and this included at least two White-lettered Hairstreaks flying around the top of a large Elm tree. I couldn't get a picture but it was nice to catch up with them for the first time this year. Crossing the Headway I visited the nearby Great Oakley Meadow nature reserve where I found my first Essex Skipper of the year. Other species noted were Small Skipper, Meadow Brown, Ringlet and Green-veined White. By now the clouds were moving in and I left before the threatened rain arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment