Tuesday 16 July 2024

This Is Becoming A Habit!

 I'm in between jobs at the moment which means I have a bit more time for wildlife watching than I would have usually. Today I had a interview which was successful enough to land me a new job so I'll have to make the most of my remaining free time before my nose goes back to the grindstone!. Some good reports came in from Eyebrook this morning which were enough to persuade me to contact regular birding pal Alan Shorrock and arrange a visit.

Black Tern


Our first target was a brace of Black Terns which had been reported from the island bunker. Happily for us they did not take too long to find as they ranged across most of the reservoir south of the island. I managed a few dodgy record shots but if the pics were poor the viewing experience was not. By way of a bonus a Hobby chasing a Sand Martin was noted and a Green Sandpiper was present near Sam's Dyke. From here we moved to the viewing area near the sharp end from where a couple of decent waders had been seen earlier in the day.


Dunlin and Barn Owl


On arrival a Greenshank was seen, this is probably the same bird that has been observed on my previous two visits. Next the Wood Sandpiper which was first seen yesterday showed giving good if distant views. If my record shots of the Black Terns were bad then my attempts to get a pic of this almost bordered on the criminal! It showed intermittently as it moved in and out of the waterside vegetation, a summer plumaged Dunlin was a little less elusive. Another birder put me on to the reported Turnstone which was very difficult to get to grips with as it was too close to the bank. Eventually many of the birds were flushed and the Turnstone moved on to a more exposed spot where I was able to get a few record shots. A nice little cameo here was put in by a hunting Barn Owl which was presumably taking advantage of the drier conditions once the overnight and morning rain had moved on. 

Turnstone and Wood Sandpiper.



A brief pause at the bridge added Kingfisher to the list as one was heard calling. Final stop was on the Rutland side of the res where both the Turnstone and the Wood Sandpiper showed again. Satisfied that we had seen all that we were likely to we decided to move on, I celebrated the news of my new job with a pint in the 'spoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment