Thursday 18 July 2024

Hooray For Harry's!

 This morning I took advantage of the current spell of good weather and headed to Harry's Park Wood. I didn't expect to see anything new but hoped that plenty of insects would be active in the sunshine. As it was a week day the wood was pretty quiet and I had most of the place to myself for long periods - bliss!

Purple Emperor




Bad news first, no sign of Purple Hairstreaks and I didn't see any White Admirals though a couple that I met from Hardingstone did manage to see one. Just like yesterday there were Silver-Washed Fritillaries at various points but none wanted to land and I didn't get any pictures. Despite these minor setbacks there was plenty to enjoy beginning along Bears Lane where eight species of butterfly were noted. In the wood itself there were others on the wing with species such as Red Admiral and Small Tortoiseshell showing. At the other end of the wood at the Old Dry Bushes car park two raggedy Purple Emperors had come down to the ground and treated me to some great views. One of them did even better as it flew up on to my leg before settling on my shoe for a bit. In the same area my first of several Commas were seen, while on my return amble through the wood I saw my first new brood Brimstones and Holly Blue.


Small Tortoiseshell, Green-veined White and Meadow Brown


Several Brown Hawkers and Emperors were hunting along the rides while a Southern Hawker favoured Bears Lane. Some large puddles had attracted Four-spotted Chasers and Common Darters as well as a few Azure Damselflies. It's still quiet for birds at the moment and only Marsh Tit and Raven provided any interest.

Four-spotted Chaser and Common Darter



No comments:

Post a Comment