Sunday 28 May 2023

Finishing On A High

 My last day off before I have to go back to work tomorrow and I have to say it turned out OK. Today's weather was somewhat cloudier than yesterday's though it was still pretty warm. My plan was to visit Priors Hall to look for Downy Emeralds and I walked there via Willowbrook Industrial Estate and the two gullets.

Grizzled Skipper and Fallow Deer.



A Grizzled Skipper was seen on the verge opposite the Morrison's warehouse, another was noted close to the old speedway. Other butterflies included Small Heath, Common Blue, Dingy Skipper and Brown Argus. A single Common Blue Damselfly was the only ode on view while a herd of Fallow Deer represented the other wildlife.

Lapwing, Small Heath and Dingy Skipper




In the north and south gullets at Priors Hall a similar selection of butterflies were noted and there was also a good number of Burnet Companions on the wing. Around the ponds I couldn't find any Downy Emeralds but did see a male Scarce Chaser holding territory. Plenty of its Four-spotted cousins were emerging from the ponds and there were a few Hairy Dragonflies joining a small selection of damsels. Nearby at Weldon a Brown Argus and a Dingy Skipper were the highlights. I thought my nature spotting had come to an end when I joined my family in The George for a meal but it turned out that I was a little premature in packing my bins away.

Scarce Chaser and Brown Argus



A text from Phil Rogers when I got home alerted me to the presence of a male Red-necked Phalarope at Eyebrook. Luckily I was able to scrounge a lift and soon found myself in the company of Mr Rogers watching the bird. Some dodgy record shots of what was a distant bird followed, the views through the scope were far better. Happy with my sighting I let Alan know and left once he'd arrived and seen the bird.

Phalarope record shots.



No comments:

Post a Comment