Sunday 7 May 2023

Damselflies

 Today's weather was much better than yesterday's dross with plenty of sunshine to warm things up. For the second Sunday running I hopped aboard the X4 and headed over to Oundle for a stroll along the Nene. While the birding was somewhat dull ( no stilts here I'm afraid!) there was plenty of other wildlife to keep things interesting.


Banded Demoiselle, Blue-tailed and Red-eyed Damselflies.



The floods near Lower Barnwell Lock did not produce any passage waders with just Redshank and Lapwing present. Good numbers of Black-headed Gulls were feeding while duck numbers have dropped further with just Mallards and Gadwalls remaining. Plenty of Banded Demoiselles were flitting amongst the riverside nettles, I estimate well over a hundred must have been seen during my walk along the Nene and at Barnwell CP. With the prospect of seeing interesting birds seeming to be remote I turned my attentions to insects hoping to add more damsels or dragons to my year list.

Variable, Azure and Large Red Damselflies.




Near the Princess Lake opposite the marina a good emergence of Red-eyed Damselflies was evident with at least thirty shiny winged tenerals on view. Close by a Blue-tailed Damselfly was noted taking my growing year list up to five. I didn't ignore butterflies as I walked, several Red Admirals suggest there may have been an influx recently. Other species included Orange-tip, Small and Green-veined White as well as Speckled Wood.

Red Admiral, Brimstone and Speckled Wood




Barnwell CP was once again pretty busy but that didn't stop me seeing more damsels. Azure Damselflies seemed to have emerged in good numbers and I also managed to find a Variable too near Mill Lake. A single Large Red Damselfly took my day list up to six suggesting that the season is well and truly underway. Butterflies here included Holly Blue while the best bird was a very obliging drake Mandarin. On my return to the village I was happy to see two Holly Blues in my garden.

Mandarin and Cormorant.



No comments:

Post a Comment