Saturday 25 March 2023

Peregrine To Begin But Butterflies Steal The Show

 Just a local sortie today that saw me journey no further than the Welland Valley near Gretton, The weather was similar to yesterday's offering though the wind had veered round to a brisk northwesterly. Braving the showers I headed first to check on my local Peregrines, I met with some success as a single bird was present. Brookfield Plantation was quiet with just a Nuthatch and a small herd of Fallow Deer on view.

Peregrine


I encountered what was probably that same herd of Fallows as I walked towards the escarpment that overlooks the Welland Valley,  sadly they bounded off out of view before I could raise my camera. A croaking Raven was my first of two noted today, the second was in the valley itself. From the escarpment I could see that there was still some water in the valley which meant that I'd have to head down towards the road to check it out. How I wished that I hadn't, the water was devoid of birds and the slope seemed much steeper as I gasped my way back up to the top of the ridge. Once I'd recovered my breath a little I set off towards Brookfield as I made my way home.

Red Admiral


While there were still no birds of note in the wood a Red Admiral was only my second butterfly of the year. It flew up and down one of the rides before settling and I was able to grab a few pictures. Walking through Willowbrook Industrial Estate added a third butterfly to my year list in the lovely shape of a male Brimstone. He settled for a teasingly short time before fluttering away just as my camera was focusing. Don't you just love it when they do that! My day ended as a heavy shower rolled in leading to a quick march home and a chance to dry off.

Pied Wagtail


No comments:

Post a Comment