Sunday 7 August 2022

Silver Lining But No Clouds

 Reports of Clouded Yellows being found off Lyveden Way in Corby had me checking the map first before heading off in that direction this morning. Turns out it was one of the roads in the Oakley Vale housing development and the grassland where the butterflies were noted was a remnant of the old quarry. I used to bird and walk my dog over this area when it was called Snatchill so it was a bit of a nostalgia fest for me.

Grassland off Lyveden Way and Common Blue.



Despite the warm and sunny conditions there were few butterflies flying over the parched grass and they did not include Clouded Yellows in their ranks. Common Blues were the commonest species and there were a few Gatekeepers and a Small Heath too. A Brown Hawker was hunting over the area but there was little else to report. I may well return when time permits as the area shows some potential but this like every other site is crying out for rain.

Silver-washed Fritillary and Green-veined White



From here I crossed the railway track and walked towards Little Oakley but there was little to report beyond a Red Admiral and a few Yellowhammers. Retracing my steps I passed through the splendidly named Bandy Slaid before emerging on to Longcroft Road. Highlight here was a female Silver-washed Fritillary nectaring next to the path. At nearby Little Stanion I checked out the pond which hosted a small population of odes. There was nothing beyond the norm here though it was good to find another colony of Small Red-eyed Damselflies. My final stop was at the grassland near Eurohub, little worthy of mention though a few more Small Heaths were on the wing.

Blue-tailed and Common Blue Damselflies.



No comments:

Post a Comment