Sunday 14 August 2022

Baking At Barnwell

 My first trip to Barnwell CP for some time took place in the high temperatures which we've all become so used to in recent weeks. Although these temperatures are having a detrimental effect on some wildlife there was still enough on show to keep me interested. My main targets were odes which is perhaps as well as they made up most of the sightings today.

Brimstone and Mandarin



I joined many other people on my wander around Barnwell, it's certainly a popular place in summer! Birds of note seen or heard during my stroll included Mandarins, Kingfisher, Marsh Tit, Cetti's Warbler and Redpolls. Few butterflies were observed with most being Green-veined Whites, Small Heath and Brimstone were seen later along the Nene. My favourite ode of the day was a male Willow Emerald, they may be fairly common now but they're still an attractive species. Plenty of Small Red-eyeds and a smaller number of Red-eyeds were noted on the ponds while Common Blues and Blue-taileds are still on the wing. Dragons were few in number with Migrant Hawkers and Common Darters making up most of the sightings, a Brown Hawker and an Emperor rounded off the list.




With the park getting busier I opted to take a walk along the Nene past the marina and as far as Lower Barnwell Lock. A flock of wagtails feeding on the paddocks opposite the mill included about ten Yellows with most being immatures. Banded Demoiselles appear to be much reduced in numbers but I saw at least three during my wander. Little else to report though I did see a Red-underwing moth of some sort on my return to the Old Village.

Wildlife selection







No comments:

Post a Comment