Saturday 27 August 2022

Fuss On The Bus

 I fancied a change of scenery today and so decided to catch the X4 to Earls Barton and take a stroll along to Summer Leys. At the bus stop ominous signs warning of cancellations to some services were dismissed as I boarded my bus and headed off for a spot of birding. According to local news Northamptonshire is experiencing a shortage of bus drivers but I cared not a jot as I arrived at Earls Barton.

Black-tailed Godwits and Ringed Plover



My walk along the Nene past Mill and Hardwater Lakes was mostly uneventful with just a few singing Cetti's Warblers to report. A similar situation prevailed at Rotary Hide where the main lake did not produce much of interest. On the scrape things perked up a little with two Black-tailed Godwits and a similar number of juvenile Ringed Plovers showing. There was a Great White Egret that showed well before it departed with what sounded like an indignant squawk. Light rain began to fall and I was glad to find shelter at the screen hide from where two Snipe and a Common Sandpiper were seen. It did not take long for the rain to move on and the sun began to break through causing a few insects to emerge from their hiding places. Butterflies noted around the reserve included Large and Small Whites, Speckled Wood, Small Heath, Common Blue and Comma. I spent some time looking for Willow Emeralds but failed to find any having instead to content myself with a selection of the commoner species. With time moving on I set off back along the Nene looking for odes as I went.

Great White Egret and Snipes



Banded Demoiselle numbers are falling but there were still a few along the river while Small Red-eyed Damselflies were present on the slower flowing stretches. Most obvious dragons were Migrant Hawkers though both Ruddy and Common Darters were also seen. Not a great deal else other than a Mink was observed and I made my way back to the village where a couple of pints in the Old Swan made my wait more enjoyable. As I boarded the bus I did not expect to have to get off my comfortable X4 at Kettering because there was no relief driver available. Sadly that was the case as I and my fellow passengers had to cram onto a single decker and make the slow slog back to Corby. It may be some time before I risk a bus journey again for anything further than Weldon!

Small Red-eyed Damselflies and Banded Demoiselle.



No comments:

Post a Comment