Monday 6 December 2021

Dodging The Rain

 The threat of rain meant that I stuck fairly close to home this morning and opted to take a walk to Brookfield Plantation. With the country bracing itself for the arrival of the next storm I got off fairly lightly with just the mildest of soakings before I got home.

Little Egret and Siskin



My stroll took me through the park in the village where a Little Egret was showing well. Always a fan of a leggy bird I paused for a bit to let my inner dude enjoy the view. My next stop was at the Peregrine site where both birds were showing though the poor light quality affected the viewing pleasure somewhat. After a relatively short walk I arrived at Brookfield where I began my look around while sticking to the public footpaths.

Peregrines




Two Woodcocks give typically brief flight views as they shot upwards after being flushed, this is quite a good site for wintering birds. Flocks of Siskins were feeding in the alders often in the company of Goldfinches, it seems to be a fairly decent winter for these small finches. Teal are regular here in winter so it was not much of a surprise when I flushed a flock of about half a dozen from one of the ponds. Nothing much else to report, several large mixed flocks contained Marsh Tits and there were also a couple of Nuthatches. By now the weather guessers threatened rain was just beginning to fall so I abandoned ship and headed home.

Brookfield Plantation


No comments:

Post a Comment