Saturday 13 November 2021

Not Great, Not Rubbish Either

 A welcome day off work today saw me taking advantage of an offer of a lift to East Carlton Park where I hoped to see some birds before the hound walking hordes descended. Arriving just after dawn I was able to see a few bits and bobs before the poochie posse took over. 

East Carlton and Mandarin Duck



I began near the hall where I had a look in case any Hawfinches were present, sadly there were not but it was not a complete waste of time. My first Fieldfares of the autumn flew over while there were also a couple of Mistle Thrushes in the area. Large numbers of Jackdaws were passing over as they left their roost sites and headed out into the wider countryside. Moving on to the end of the park nearest Middleton produced the hoped for views of Bramblings. Over ten seemed to be present though the birds were obscured by twigs etc and the light so poor that photography proved to be all but impossible. A check of the ponds added a final highlight as I found a smashing drake Mandarin Duck there but with not much else around other than a gang of Grey Squirrels I moved on heading out towards Middleton.

Red Kite and Yellowhammer.




When there is no flood water the Welland Valley can be somewhat tedious and sadly today was one of those days. I walked along from Cottingham as far as the fringes of Gretton and saw very little indeed. Abandoning the valley I took a footpath across the field towards Brookside Plantation. A flock of Yellowhammers and a few Skylarks provided some interest as I headed towards the wood. Near the flooded quarry I began to hear and then see Siskins while a Raven was heard croaking. Best birds were two Woodcocks flushed from near the plantation, like the earlier Fieldfares these were my first of the autumn.

Mr and Mrs Peregrine.



Brookside was rather dull too, further sightings of Siskin were had and I also saw two Fallow Deer but in general the pickings were slim. Having heard about the unfortunate demise of one of the Kettering Peregrines I was eager to check on my local ones and so made a slight detour on the way home. Happily both birds were present at their favourite spot and I enjoyed clear though distant views.

No comments:

Post a Comment