Monday 22 November 2021

Dipping And Tripping

 I paid a brief visit to Eyebrook this morning just after sunrise with the intention of finding the Ring-necked Duck and Scaup that have been present. Sadly the ducks were up close against the opposite shore and were actively feeding so finding any of our targets proved beyond the skills of either my brother or myself. Cold but sunny conditions made for great viewing conditions however and although we failed to find the star turns we did enjoy sightings of about two dozen Goldeneyes.

Red Kite and Wigeon.



Having returned home I took my now familiar stroll along to Willowbrook Industrial Estate before going on to Weldon. While walking I quite literally fell foul of Corby's uneven paths and ended up taking a brief flight before coming crashing back to earth. Luckily both I and my equipment survived the experience and I continued on my way once I'd dusted myself off. Not much to report from Willowbrook where the pair of Stonechats and a Grey Wagtail were the only sightings of interest. The A43 pond at Weldon provided a site rarity in the shape of a female Wigeon, although they're one of the commonest winter ducks they remain scarce here.

A selection from the A43 pond.





After last night's frost I wasn't overly optimistic of seeing much in the way of ode activity at Weldon. Two male Common Darters had defied the cold however and were basking on sunny spots next to the pond. Flights were brief and they often returned to the same favoured spots, I wonder how much longer they can go on for? As I'm off to Scotland for next weekend I suspect that these will be my last dragons of 2021. Not a great deal else to mention other than a few Siskins that were feeding in trees around the pond.

Siskin and Common Darter.



No comments:

Post a Comment